The GreenLow Smoothie
This delicious smoothie was constructed mainly with yellow and green natural ingredients. This is a very nutritious smoothie. Almost everything in this drink is made with real food, so can be considered clean eating. I drank this a couple of times this week as my breakfast and I felt full for 2-3 hours. Keep in mind this is a low fat, high fiber and high carb drink. If you want to add fat to this drink feel free to add a tablespoon of coconut oil, almond or peanut butter.
If less (or more) food is included, you should adjust the liquid amount. When I made this last week, I used a bit more fruit than most people would. I will post a future write up about my experiment of a high fruit and vegetable eating pattern that I started a couple of weeks ago.
Believe me, if you don't want to put any type of unsweetened almond milk, the smoothie will taste just as good. Fresh fruit has so much natural sugar that you would never know it was made with just water. This is one of the reasons why places like Jamba Juice upset me. There is no reason that their smoothies should require to be made with apple or orange juice or any other fake sugary drink. This causes unnecessary calories and takes away from the smoothies being made with fresh ingredients.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments. If you give this a taste, let me know what you think. This one is one of my favorite ones.
- 4 ounces of unsweetened Almond Milk
- 4-6 ounces of filtered water
- 1-2 cups of Spinach
- 1/2 cup of Kale (optional). If you leave this out, I would add more spinach.
- 1/2 scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- 2 tablespoons of flax seed
- 2-3 big chunks (then chopped) of fresh pineapple.
- 1-2 chopped bananas
- 1-2 chopped yellow pears
- 1 tsp of maca powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- 8-10 small ice cubes (I like the smoothies to be cold, so feel free to add less)
- Have blender in off position.
- Add the almond milk and water to the blender.
- Add the spinach/kale to the blender, then the flax seed, cinnamon, maca powder and protein.
- Then add the fruit items.
- Start the blender at a low speed and slowly move it up to the top speed. It should only need to blend for about 30-45 seconds at most.
- If it appears it is hard to blend you may need to add a bit more water.
- Once you see everything has been blended and broken up, stop blender.
Serve in your favorite cup/glass and enjoy.
By: Fred Lechuga
By: Fred Lechuga